Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security team and budget

From: Theresa Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 16:47:59 -0500

Thanks, everyone!  The responses have been very helpful.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Theresa Rowe <rowe () oakland edu> wrote:

Hi,

After a recent security audit, the auditor suggested that the security
budget, inclusive of staffing, was underfunded.  Using Gartner and other
data, for a university our size, the suggested budget was around $500,000
to $700,000.  We are at 45-55% of that amount.

At first I thought a major difference would be what we spend on staff;
there are two staff members on the team. But when I go to Educause Core
Data, and compare our Carnegie class and a created group of identified
peers, 2 is the size of the team.

This makes me wonder what we are not buying in our security budget.  We
have AV, logging (hosted Splunk), and the usual stuff, or so I thought.

Would anyone be willing to share details about what is included in their
security budget?

Thanks in advance -

--
Theresa Rowe