Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA Notices

From: Shawn Merdinger <shawnmer () GMAIL COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 16:25:35 -0400

Zero DMCA notices since implementing block with Palo Alto in March and
not a single end user complaint from 12K users at Valdosta State
University.  For legitimate academic research we have a request and
review process that's been low volume.

Prior to the block VSU used the CopySense appliance and graduated
response (auto warnings and kick off network for period of time),
direct counseling, disciplinary referrals, posters, flyers, etc. --
all amounting to a lot of work and little gain insofar as protecting
university resources and modifying user behavior.

Thanks,
--scm