Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Legal Hold

From: Tom Marcotte <tmarcott () SKIDMORE EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 07:03:32 -0600

We are an Office 365 shop. They have good Legal Hold processes, but our Campus Agreement does not cover those processes
(we have A2 licenses). So, we purchased 30 A3 licenses to go along with our Campus Agreement (~1,500 per year). When we
get a legal hold, we assign an A3 license to all involved, and then we can set a legal hold on their email accounts.
The trickier part was with our on-premise data storage. We found that our backup software has a "Legal Hold" provision
that freezes their data - I'm not 100% sure how that works. Hope this helps! Tom