Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HEISC Quarterly Update, September 2015

From: Valerie Vogel <vvogel () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 15:42:13 +0000

Greetings,

I am sharing this message on behalf of the HEISC co-chairs. (Apologies for cross-posting if you also received this via
the CIO list.) Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you,
Valerie

Valerie Vogel Program Manager

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
direct: 202.331.5374 | main: 202.872.4200 | twitter: @HEISCouncil | educause.edu<http://www.educause.edu/>

____________________

Dear Colleagues,

The Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) continues to focus on three priorities in 2015: Strengthening
Foundations, Continuing to Build the Security Profession, and Advancing Information Security Strategies in Higher
Education. To learn more about our vision and mission, please see our new HEISC charter<http://www.educause.edu/heisc>.

Recent accomplishments:

  *   Published two new practical 1-page primers on security tools/technologies that we see discussed frequently on the
EDUCAUSE CG lists: Password Managers<http://www.educause.edu/library/resources/password-managers> and Third-Party
Security Awareness Training
Tools<http://www.educause.edu/library/resources/third-party-security-awareness-training-tools>.
  *   Published two new resources in the Information Security Guide: Collaborating with
Staff<https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/2014infosecurityguide/Collaborating+with+Staff> and the case study, Building
an ISO/IEC 27001 (Certified) Information Security Management System
(ISMS)<https://spaces.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=50528512>.
  *   Updated the guide’s NCSAM Resource Kit, NCSAM Sample Kit, and Cybersecurity Awareness Resource Library, as well
as an 8-question worksheet that can be used to plan National Cyber Security Awareness Month campus activities and
events in October. Learn more at: www.educause.edu/ncsam<http://www.educause.edu/ncsam>.

October plans:

  *   Elias Eldayrie (Vice President & CIO, University of Florida) will be stepping down as HEISC co-chair after two
years of service this October. Cathy Bates (Associate VC & CIO, Appalachian State University) will officially begin her
HEISC co-chair term in October.
  *   Attending EDUCAUSE 2015 in Indianapolis? Please plan to join us for the discussion session, CISO and CIO: Is the
“S” the Only Difference?<http://www.educause.edu/annual-conference/2015/ciso-and-cio-s-only-difference>

We are currently working on the 2016 priorities and goals for HEISC. If there are specific resources you’d like us to
address, please let us know. And stay tuned for our final 2015 update in December.

Thank you,
Elias Eldayrie and Melissa Woo, HEISC Co-Chairs
www.educause.edu/security<http://www.educause.edu/security>