Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Legal or compliance issues when providing children with network access

From: Tracy Beth Mitrano <tbm3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 17:45:49 +0000

Younger than 13 it might be a good idea to educate on COPPA; any age should know about network security (patching and
anti-virus) that concerns their own devices and, if they are in computer science type classes their responsibilities
using the institutional network (for example for scanning exercises).

Information literacy should include instruction that distinguishes enterprise and consumer privacy, as well as creating
an Internet “profile” and social networking use (an oldie but I hope still goodie:
http://www.it.cornell.edu/policies/socialnetworking/facebook.cfm).  Basics on your institution’s IT Policies are good
for them to know too, especially that which involves copyright, and/or how other policies, such as code of conduct are
incorporated in the use of information technology resources.

T.