Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Student/Staff Email

From: "Knights, John" <knightsj () WIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 21:25:51 +0000

Good Afternoon All-

I’ve seen many of you provide feedback on how you handle graduated student email accounts (May 2014 thread), but we
have a potentially unique twist to this.

We have hired some of our graduates in the past, as I’m sure others have. Our staff, faculty, and students will soon
all be using the same email system (Office365). I believe that we may be coming to a consensus that we will move away
from “eternal" emails for students and retirees, instead we would implement eternal email forwarding to their own,
personal email account instead for development and future engagement opportunities.

The one unique case is when a student that becomes a staff member, leaves but is still a student (usually finishing
their graduate degree). Since all roles used the same identity and email account, we are looking for suggestions and/or
comments on what would be best for how to handle the email account for this former staff, current student. We have
considered setting up a different account to generate a new student email, but there are concerns with this.

Thanks,
John

John Knights
Information Security Officer