Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: On the Spot Corrections

From: Mally Mclane <mally.mclane () BRISTOL AC UK>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 20:09:33 +0100

Hello,

Not strictly from a Higher Ed perspective, but....

On 4 September 2014 20:00, Mertz, Brian E <bmertz () illinois edu> wrote:

 Several years ago, we used to roam through our various libraries (the
top locations on campus for laptop theft) leaving bright orange cards on
laptop keyboards. The cards read something to the effect of “We could have
stolen your laptop, but we didn’t” and a link to a webpage with physical
security best practices.

As well as working on email/collaboration here at Bristol University in the
UK, I also volunteer as a police officer (same uniform/powers, no pay...)
and one of the events we police is Glastonbury Music Festival (much the
same size as Lollapalooza) and do a very similar thing amongst all the
tents and people a little drunk....

http://glastonburypolice.com/not-so-smart-now-see-what-loot-we-could-have-taken-last-year/

We also try to create a community spirit and get 'neighbours' watching for
each other by giving out these:
http://glastonburypolice.com/tent-watch-comes-to-glasto-2014/

and make use of FindMyIphone, Lookout etc...
http://glastonburypolice.com/phone-tracking-success-arrests-and-more/

Crime is going down year on year, so we appear to be having an effect

Mally
p.s. for the curious, I'm..
https://twitter.com/Policeatglasto/status/482836147962671105

 We weren’t smart enough about building in reporting metrics for the URL
to see just how effective this was, but at the time we were happy about
being proactive.

 Plus, it was kind of fun to keep the cards with you and drop them
whenever an unattended laptop appeared.

 --

Brian Mertz

Senior Client Relationship Consultant