Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: On the Spot Corrections

From: "Mertz, Brian E" <bmertz () ILLINOIS EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 19:00:16 +0000

Several years ago, we used to roam through our various libraries (the top locations on campus for laptop theft) leaving
bright orange cards on laptop keyboards. The cards read something to the effect of “We could have stolen your laptop,
but we didn’t” and a link to a webpage with physical security best practices.

We weren’t smart enough about building in reporting metrics for the URL to see just how effective this was, but at the
time we were happy about being proactive.

Plus, it was kind of fun to keep the cards with you and drop them whenever an unattended laptop appeared.

--
Brian Mertz
Senior Client Relationship Consultant