Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you use video conferencing for identity proofing remote students?

From: "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones () UTH TMC EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 22:17:37 -0600

Beverly,

As several have suggested video conferencing is of more value for
authentication (assuming you already have a photo on file) than for initial
identity proofing.

I don't think that video conferencing is a reasonable means of identity
proofing by itself.  But I do think it can play a role in the proofing
processes set forth in NIST Special Publication 800-63-2:
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/800-63-2/sp800_63_2_draft.pdf

Assuming that remote students must still apply, supply transcripts, and pay
for courses, it would seem likely to me that the paper work for
accomplishing LoA 2 remote identity proofing as described in NIST SP 800-63
may already be available.  If a video conference could be arranged "in a
manner that confirms the ability of the Applicant to receive telephone
communications or text message at phone number or e-mail address associated
with the Applicant in

records", I would think that video conference could be used to issue
credentials and/or obtain an official image of the applicant.