Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you use video conferencing for identity proofing remote students?

From: "Palmer, Kevin J." <kpalmer () CCIS EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 22:51:02 +0000

We have approximately 18K online students (head count) and have entered into an agreement with ProctorU to essentially
address this issue, however, their process will also ask five questions from public databases that the individual
should know. This is similar to the process that is done for your free credit report.  After the questions are
correctly answered, the consultant will ask the student to hold up a government issued ID.  A still shot is taken of
the individual and ID and stored for future reference.  It has worked well for us.

Best regards,
Kev

Kevin Palmer
CIO - Columbia College