Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Mac security options

From: David Opitz <dopitz () LOYOLA EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:46:06 +0000

Hi,

We are looking at ways to better manage our university owned Macs.  I'm wondering what steps you take to secure Macs in
your environment (both desktops and laptops).  In particular, which of the following do you do in your environment:

- Hard drive encryptions for Mac laptops (if so - which product do you use?).
- Enforcing password complexity.
- Managed operating system patches.
- Managed application patches.
- Anti-virus installed.

Are your Macs in AD?  Do you use SCCM to manage them?  Do you use a different product to assist in the management of
your Macs?  Do you have a Mac configuration standard?  Is there anything else you do to secure your Macs?

Our answer has mostly been "Macs are hard to manage in a large enterprise" so we haven't been doing too much, but we
are finding that is just not acceptable when they will be used to access university data.

Peace,
Dave Opitz
Loyola University Maryland