Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Program: NIST, ISO, other?

From: Alan <astockdale () EDC ORG>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 11:04:08 -0500

For federal contract work that is subject to FISMA, implementation of the NIST Risk Management Framework is a
requirement (i.e. NIST SP800-37, NIST SP800-53 controls, etc.). There is no other option. A lot of institutions seem to
carve out an enclave for that type of work as it is demanding to implement the RMF system-wide. Since 2010, when OMB
started requiring the Inspectors General to assess agency oversight of contractor FISMA compliance, the security
requirements in federal contract RFPs have become a lot more explicit and demanding.

UT and UC have some useful webinars on FISMA:

Federal Information Security Comes to Higher Education
http://www.utsystem.edu/compliance/SWCAcademy.html

FISMA Compliance
http://www.ucop.edu/ethics-compliance-audit-services/compliance/webinars/fisma/lib/playback.html

--