Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wildcard certs; to use or not to use

From: Sherry Callahan <scallahan () KUMC EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 20:21:38 +0000

We use a wildcard cert on our main web server to cover www.kumc.edu<http://www.kumc.edu> and all the tertiary domains
that the University seems to host as long as they are simple informational sites and none of the sites have anything to
do with sensitive information.  We use UC certificates to secure our Exchange environment and a few other similar
situations.  Otherwise, all servers have their own certs.

The hypothetical risk is that the wildcard cert could be compromised, hence compromising the encryption on any server
using the wildcard cert.  We use Digicert so cost is not an issue - it’s free for us to request as many certs as we
want.    Yes, we have to maintain the certs and replace them when they expire, but Digicert does a great job of
tracking expiration dates for us as well.

Hope this helps,

Sherry Callahan
Information Security Office
University of Kansas Medical Center
(913) 588-0966 | scallahan () kumc edu<mailto:scallahan () kumc edu>