Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wildcard certs; to use or not to use

From: Mike Wiseman <mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 15:36:50 -0500

Has anyone used wildcard certs for their university domain? What are the pros and cons? We are in the process of moving
our public pages to a hosting site and I've been asked if wildcard certs can be used. I assessed using wild card certs
in the past (based on the way they wanted to use them) and deemed the risk was to great.

The environment they want to do this in now is with multiple domains on one IP address.

Any input would be appreciated.

Wildcard certs are issued  to a number of department administrators here. Our practice around using them is that they
must be administered by one IT group only to maintain the security of the private key.  This is usually useful since
many departments make use of a single domain level and, with a wildcard cert, they have only one cert/key to worry
about renewing and replacing.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Manager, Information Security