Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wildcard certs; to use or not to use

From: "Jacobson, Dick" <dick.jacobson () NDUS EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 18:21:41 +0000

Agreed.  But letting the wildcard cert expire causes its own issues.  Yes - one  of our institutions did that.

We have an academic license with one of the CAs that allows us unlimited certs for all our system institutions, and a
managed system that gives us six notices before the cert expires.  My response was based on this.  Managing these
manually would be a nightmare I would not want to undertake.