Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wildcard certs; to use or not to use

From: Dennis Bolton <bolton () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 14:57:52 -0500

We are currently using a wildcard certificate at our institution and also
have an agreement with the CA's for unlimited use.

We found the wildcard allowed us to offer a good balance between security
and management overhead in our environment.  As others have stated we were
expending considerable resources purchasing, installing, tracking, and
managing the expiration date for dozens of individual certificates.

We've attempt to mitigate some of the security concerns associated with the
wildcard by only granting the minimal number of staff access to install &
mange the certificate and having criteria for machines that are eligible to
receive the certificate.   Systems that do not meet the criteria are
required to purchase and install an individual certificate.

Overall we have seen a significant decrease in management overhead and a
cost savings. With a large wildcard install base we have begun planning for
the wildcard renewal / replacement approximately 10 months in advance.

Hope this information is helpful.