Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Scanner Recommendations

From: Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:40:31 -0600

Personally I love our Nessus system, but I don't have experience with other commercial products.
http://www.tenable.com/products/nessus/nessus-product-overview

OpenVAS is free and open-source and it's OK, though it's not as easy to use and requires more customization to be useful. Nessus gives better results in my opinion. It's interesting to scan the same system with each and see the difference in results.
http://www.openvas.org/

In any case, these are just a tools. You still have to be able to assess and validate the results these systems give you. They help find a number of issues, but there are always some false-positives or differences in judgement regarding how significant an issue is. For example, I consider a Denial-of-Service vulnerability on most systems to be a medium-risk issue, we'll fix it at the next good opportunity or scheduled update cycle. Potential information exposure, on the other hand, is high-risk and requires a more urgent response. Network security scanners may prioritize such vulnerabilities differently from what I would. It doesn't mean they're wrong, it's just a difference in judgement based on our environment.

Kevin