Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and DHCP and ICMP

From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () SO MNSCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 14:24:10 +0000

The point of this thread is, if you "block most or all ICMP traffic in order to eliminate an attack surface," and you
are running an IPv6 network and expect it to communicate with the rest of the IPv6 Internet, YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

The phone WILL ring, when some intermediate carrier decides that they're doing a code upgrade which happens to break
jumbo frame support, and you have a researcher talking to a computing grid halfway across town or he world, and there's
jumbo frame capability otherwise on the path, but now there's no possibility of IPv6 nodes discovering the path MTU.
Then, the network guys will have the day they enjoy so much, blaming the security guys for making them adhere to a
policy that is in violation of how the network *must* be configured in order to work.  And then you'll get all the
invective that that carrier so richly deserved.

The message is, you have to learn more about what ICMPv6 messages and codes than you did with IPv4 before you set up a
traffic policy.  Start with RFC4890 and have a series of unrushed discussion with your IPv6-literate network architects
and engineers.

   -jml