Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop cable locks

From: Valdis Kletnieks <valdis.kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 09:59:01 -0400

On Thu, 24 May 2012 13:47:18 -0000, Russ Leathe said:
laptops are in a secure room, bitlocker and domain logon needed.

Wow, those are required to get into the room? :)

Those probably won't matter, unless you have students who are dumb enough
to log onto their own userid before stealing the machine.  Said students probably
need to be weeded out somehow.

On the other hand, if you have an ID reader connected to the door lock, then
you may have something useful (except for those people who surf in while
somebody else has the door open)...

I have always thought cable locks are more of a deterrent than preventive.

*All* measures are deterrents, not preventive.  You're just raising the bar to limit
the number of people who are willing to try *that* hard to steal it. You'll never
stop the determined and well-supplied super thief who wants to do it just for
the challenge. Consider that even if you stick it in a bank vault, there are those
who will tunnel in from underneath...

 We are also are installing camera's that are tied to our public safety.

That's actually probably one of the most effective things you could do.
Oh, and make the cameras obvious. :)