Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and DHCP and ICMP

From: "Manjak, Martin" <mmanjak () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 20:49:17 +0000

I want to focus on one point the Randy made at the end of his post (below), i.e., scanning.  In the v4 world, best
practices emerged that limited or completely eliminated ICMP from the public network.

Since Randy is encouraging re-calibration, we're wondering if these types of filters on the public side of the router
are still recommended, worthwhile, or even feasible given the role ICMP plays in v6 assignments.

Marty Manjak
ISO
University at Albany

The University at Albany will never ask you to reveal your password. Please ignore all such requests.