Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: VPN service -- Quick Poll (split tunneling?)

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:59:19 -0400

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 19:56:02 EST, Dave Koontz said:

First disclosure, we only allow supervisor approved access to our VPN
for our users, and only on institutionally owned machines.  A fall back
for a pandemic or other emergency is in place where those rules change.

OK, I'll bite - have you *tested* being able to get VPN enabled on user-owned
machines on short notice when everybody is out sick?  If so, what snags did you
hit, and any advice for others who are looking at having to do this sort of
emergency rollout?

(Sorry, anytime I see "rules change in an emergency", I see potential for
screw-ups, either from people and systems that don't know that the rules
are different, or from insufficient testing of cut-over).