Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: VPN service -- Quick Poll (split tunneling?)

From: "Schumacher, Adam J." <adamschumacher () CREIGHTON EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 23:18:50 +0000

For those that have answered yes, would you mind outlining whether you
allow split tunneling or not? I would also appreciate your rationale one way or
the other.

Our current IPsec solution does not do split tunneling, but the AnyConnect/SSL solution that we are moving to will.
Our stance is that if anything going out to the internet isn't already "secure", isn't going to get that much of a
benefit from going through us first.  It saves our bandwidth and improves the overall experience for the customer.  The
solution is smart enough that any traffic destined for either our public or private address space goes through the
tunnel.

I've always been taught that split tunneling is a really bad idea, but this topic
has recently come up in our remote access project.

It just depends on what risks are/aren't acceptable to you or your institution.  Personally, I'd rather not be a
conduit for all the crazy stuff that ends up on home/personal devices any more than I have to.

--
Kris Monroe, CISSP, CISA, CISM
Information Security Officer

Ithaca College
953 Danby Rd. | Ithaca, NY 14850
607.274.1997 | 607.274.1484 fax
kmonroe () ithaca edu | ithaca.edu
Follow us: facebook.com/ICInfosec | twitter.com/IC_infosec