Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: VPN service -- Quick Poll (split tunneling?)

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 15:41:09 -0500

Caveat1:  we don't have "general access" VPN for just anyone with an AD login or other
generic campus credentials, so we may have more knowledgeable (than usual) users.

Caveat2:  our campus is on private addresses, so there is less ambiguity in the
split-/full-tunnel cases.

We used to do exclusively split-tunnel operation to conserve on bandwidth, the campus
was exceedingly constrained early on.

Our new VPN (about to enter production) provides the user with both split- and
full-tunnel profiles with the caveat that full-tunnel is our recommendation for any open
/ unencrypted WiFi environment.

Jeff