Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password security

From: David Pirolo <webmaster () WARNERPACIFIC EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 10:37:23 -0800

I'd have to agree with Joe here.  Since it really isn't a requirement or
a law to not store in plain-text, rather is just a best practice, the
only ammo we have is putting pressure on the vendors by using the
products that do adhere to best practice.

The increasing pressure and monetary fines we face from our regulatory
bodies are really making this more vital to increase the pressure on our
vendors.  Best way to put pressure on a vendor is to threaten to and
start evaluating a competitor who is keeping up with the times.

-David