Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password security

From: Joe St Sauver <joe () OREGON UOREGON EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 16:21:34 -0800

Hi,

While I share everyone's concern about plain text passwords, there
*are* many, many, mainstream applications that *do* store passwords
unencrypted, and often in ways that are publicly accessible.
(Anyone skeptical of this can quickly lose that skepticism via a
little Google dorking, e.g., see for example
http://www[dot]exploit-db[dot]com/google-dorks/9/ )

From my POV, the *real* issue is this: given that plain text passwords
ARE out there all over the place, how do we get that problem sorted?

I suspect that a straightforward find-and-notify strategy might be an
excellent way to trigger a "shoot the messenger bearing bad news" sort
of reaction, unfortunately.

Regards,

Joe