Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student Passwords

From: Steven Alexander <alexander.s () MCCD EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 17:00:13 +0000

Our requirements:

8 characters minimum
1 upper case character minimum
1 lower case minimum
1 number minimum
1 special character minimum
Expires after 180 days (this was temporarily disabled)

Students can use a self-service password reset that requires the answers to five security questions that they choose.
In practice, I don't think this helps.  We manually do a few thousand password resets every year because students
forget their passwords and their security questions (we only have about 10k students).  I think our requirements are
overly picky; we'd be better off requiring longer passwords with less complexity per character so that we could
encourage students to use passphrases.  Many of our students only use their accounts a few times a semester and this
makes it easy for them to forget their passwords.  Also, many of our students have a hard time picking a password that
will meet the complexity requirements and this has led to our helpdesk staff giving advice like "Put a name a year and
a star, for example: Name1928*" which completely defeats the purpose of requiring complex passwords in the first place.

The whole process is currently a big security hole.  We have to process so many resets that it would be impossible for
us to carefully scrutinize every request for a password reset or to make everyone show up in person with ID.

We switched from our previous requirements, which were much more lax, to these with no notice and very little
discussion--it went from idea to implementation while I was on vacation last year...  It hasn't worked out very well
for us.  For anyone considering a change, please initiate some local discussion before you do anything.  Consider what
you're trying to accomplish and how the proposed changes will actually accomplish it.  Don't rush into something
without considering the impact of the changes and preparing to handle the support/education that comes with it.

Best regards,

Steven Alexander Jr.
Online Education Systems Manager
Merced College