Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Deepfreeze - Why not?

From: Chuck Keeler <keeler_c () MITCHELL EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:29:40 -0500

Not sure why you wouldn't as long as you stick with Windows machines. We
have had some odd things happen on Mac's but with the new release we plan
to get back to them and get them frozen as well (who knows what Lion will
bring us).

As far as automating the updates, this has been addressed. We can schedule
a thaw in the middle of the night, apply the patches and then schedule
them to freeze again before students arrive the next day. In a pinch we
can thaw an entire lab, push a package for installation, and freeze the
machine again in a very short period of time. And thawing a single machine
is as easy as launching the Deep Freeze control panel on the machine,
logging in and rebooting thawed.

We also schedule a reboot of all frozen machines at 2AM to clear the
machine and set it back to original image.

Its not perfect in any respect but it has saved us allot of work in
viruses and re-imaging machines.

As far as forensics - If we know we need to look for something and the
machine wasn't rebooted we can pull whatever we need but if its been
rebooted the log files etc are gone. This hasn't caused us much of an
issue since we installed it.

Planning: You have to build your image and test all kinds of situations
with it before you make it production and freeze the machine since you
could freeze a problem inside the system without knowing. We have been
using it for about 6 years now.

Charles Keeler
Mitchell College
Office of Information Technology