Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Deepfreeze - Why not?

From: Sam Stelfox <SStelfox () VTC VSC EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:12:41 -0500

When I went down this course the most prominent answer was patches. Yes there is a way to boot into an override mode which will allow you to permanently install patches but there isn't any way to automate that. It means you have to go to each individual machine reboot it into the unprotected mode, run all of the patches (if a service pack comes out this can easily take an hour on a machine that isn't brandy new), then reboot and make sure DeepFreeze is still working.

Now personally I haven't looked at it in a few years so it's possible they put out some sort of management tool to handle this. It doesn't really buy you much security in my opinion though if you don't give your users administrative privileges over the machines, blow away their user profiles, have an up to date anti-virus/spyware/malware program on there, and re-image your labs on a semester to semester (or even a year to year basis).