Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Deepfreeze - Why not?

From: Mark Monroe <markm196 () NETSCAPE NET>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 15:25:05 -0600

We have it on all of our lab and class computers.. about 1200 systems or so.. plus in some other areas where we have "shared" systems. Patching is done through thaw cycles when the labs and classes are closed in the middle of the night from the wsus server. Very handy when drive by java exploits go around or infected usb drives come on campus. Reboot and all is clean. You can thaw them at will from a central console too if you need to. Some times we do this if we have a special piece of software that needs to go on in the middle of the semester. Like tax prep software in March or something.

Mark