Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mapped Network Drive

From: Matt Presser <matt () NMSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:25:27 -0600

Yeah that problem drove me crazy too, here you go.

http://www.gadgetgrill.com.au/2009/11/19/windows-7-fixing-the-mapped-drive-credentials-problem/

matt

On 9/26/11 1:57 PM, Daniel Bennett wrote:

Does anyone have experience with mapping a network drive in Windows 7 and XP that would stay mapped during a reboot but require credentials after each reboot? Example below:

I map a G: drive (\\server1\secure <file:///%5C%5Cserver1%5Csecure>) using alternate credentials. I then use that drive all day Monday. I then power my machine off at the end of the day on Monday. I come into work on Tuesday and power my machine on. I double click the G: drive in Computer or My Computer and it prompts me for my credentials.

I want the above process to happen. All I have been able to find is to map it once and have to do it each time or remember the credentials.

Any advice would be good.

Thanks,

Daniel Bennett

/IT Security Analyst/

/Vice-Chair North Central PA Members Alliance/

//

Pennsylvania College of Technology

One College Ave

Williamsport, PA 17701

P:570.329.4989

E:dbennett () pct edu

ITS and Penn College will never solicit you for your username or password in an e-mail.

--
Matt Presser
Information Security Administrator