Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Virus/Trojan/Worm in the Dorms

From: "Eric C. Lukens" <eric.lukens () UNI EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 09:41:10 -0500

Forcing the use of your own DNS servers by blocking DNS to all but your
own DNS servers would also be an important method prevent further
spread, and future infections in general. Plus, machines that try to use
outside DNS servers can be easily flagged as potentially infected, or
connected to a bad DHCP. The downside is that students that previously
used OpenDNS or Google DNS would find they don't work, but in an
outbreak scenario, that should be an acceptable sacrifice.

-Eric