Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Virus/Trojan/Worm in the Dorms

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 12:42:49 -0400

On 9/6/2011 10:32 AM, James R. Pardonek wrote:

It would be interesting to know and helpful for them if they had a switched network
with switches that have some intelligence in their dorms.  We prevent this by not
allowing traffic from student computers that source common ports such as DHCP or HTTP.

One of the points that I raised (in a longer private reply) was clarification of the "We
contract with AT&T to provide internet service in our dorms" statement.  It sounded very
much like many of the "outsourcing" solutions that have been proposed here from time to
time, varying from a simple commodity pipe arrangement (here's your dedicated internet),
to on-site CPE solutions (typically wireless or cable-box DOCSIS gear).

If you are outsourcing in the former context, you likely have little control over the
premise router unless you strictly contracted for the pipe only, so your blocking
options may be limited.  In the latter, you have little control over any of it.  In
either case, I'd lean on the provider for assistance.

But even if the whole nine yards is outsourced, such an incident is likely damaging to
your image or reputation as a university...

(Part of my fear of outsourced arrangements)

Jeff