Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Virus/Trojan/Worm in the Dorms

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 23:23:15 -0400

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 20:35:27 EDT, Dennis Meharchand said:

It locks down the C: Drive so any attempted malware infection gets deflected
and eliminated with a simple reboot.

I'll bite - how does it deal with disks that have only one partition defined,
so user files are on C: as well? The tricky part is when the user manages to
drop an executable into their "My Documents" folder - it's *really* hard to
tell the difference between a binary a user wanted to install and one they
accidentally install...

That's *always* been the tough part with "lock it down", especially for student
machines, and other machines not owned by the university/corporation/etc - if
you don't have the political clout to say "This Machine WIll Be Locked Down",
the users tend to get irritated with lockdown schemes when they interfere with
what the user wants to do with the machine, even when it's "for their own
good". I seem to recall that the first iteration of UAC was a *lot* more secure,
but Microsoft had to tone it down a bunch due to user complaints...