Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pre-Breach Requirements - 18 States

From: Steve Bohrer <skbohrer () SIMONS-ROCK EDU>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 03:52:43 -0400

On 7/8/2011 12:11 PM, Rosenthal, Jane E. wrote:

Hi Cliff,

Can you tell me if your attorneys have determined that you have to comply with all 50 (or 46) state requirements rather than merely your own state? This has been a discussion here and I’m interested in what EDUs are thinking on this.

Jane

FWIW, the Mass data breech regulations claim to apply to anyone who has data about Mass residents: "The provisions of this regulation apply to all persons that own or license personal information about a resident of the Commonwealth." (from http://www.mass.gov/Eoca/docs/idtheft/201CMR1700reg.pdf ) Thus, if you have any students from MA, our regs may apply. I'm not sure how much that idea has been tested (seems kinda unfair that Mass Legislature can set rules for "all persons" everywhere), but if it holds up and if other states follow suit, seems that most EDUs will need to be prepared to deal with many state laws.

(We definitely have to follow at least the MA regs, because it's our home turf, but I'm not sure how many additional state's regulations to watch out for.)

Steve Bohrer
Network Admin, Bard College at Simon's Rock