Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pre-Breach Requirements - 18 States

From: Clifford Collins <collinsc () FRANKLIN EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 15:53:20 -0400

Hello Jane,

Great question! We do not have in-house legal counsel. But senior leadership has access to a law firm that is on
retainer for situations they feel justify it. My concern was raised because our online degree programs (which is larger
than our face-to-face programs) deliver classes to thousands of students in nearly all 50 states and in several dozen
countries. It was the overwhelming task of complying with the privacy laws of every state and my stumbling onto the
Crowell & Moring document that caused me to ask the question of leadership: what should we do? The response I got was
they agreed it was a concern and to go find out what everybody else is doing. So, here I am!

Clifford A. Collins
Information Security Officer
Franklin University
201 South Grant Avenue