Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pre-Breach Requirements - 18 States

From: Doug Markiewicz <dmarkiew+educause () ANDREW CMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:49:05 -0400

Based on some of their other published documentation, pre-breach measures is referring primarily to safeguard and
disposal requirements that many states have.

http://www.crowell.com/documents/DOCASSOCFKTYPE_PRESENTATIONS_862.pdf

Kind of a strange way to refer to these requirements if you ask me. In any case, many states passed such requirements
in conjunction with or shortly following their breach notification laws. Just as a random example, Arkansas included
provisions for safeguarding data, data disposal and breach notification in their Personal Information Protection Act.
See Title 4 Subtitle 7 Chapter 110 of the Arkansas Code.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/arcode/

We don't have any such provisions in PA that I'm aware of, but we still try to keep an eye on things. Most are vague
enough that our existing security program addresses any concerns. We keep a closer eye on California and Massachusetts
since they seem to be paving the way and, to my knowledge, have the most stringent requirements.

The National Conference of State Legislatures has a list of states who have data disposal laws. According to them,
there are currently 29.

http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=21075

Unfortunately I've not seen any NCSL publications that list all states with data safeguard requirements.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Doug