Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Budget for PCI DSS SAQ D for Bookstore Operations

From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 11:20:59 -0500

I once S-WAGged with a QSA and came up with about $100k up-font security infrastructure and incremental staffing, based
on adding not-in-place technologies such as IDS, log management, file integrity monitoring, additional firewall
management, additional internal and external scanning, and suchlike.

I'm not sure how many in-scope networks a single assurance/IT-ops staffer could manage, because we're not (currently)
organized in a way that made that analysis possible or practical.  As it was, assuming a hypothetical high-functioning
IT person with requisite training, we figured that ongoing ops-staffing would be at least a quarter of an FTE over a
year.

Fortunately, ASV scanning has become quite commoditized, and there's a good selection of affordable services available,
if your Internet-visible scope is as small as most level 4s can achieve.  Our better engineered bookstore environments
have only one or 2 public IPs exposed and subject to ASV scans.

By comparison, we also spitballed breach costs at around $500k, based on the forensic QSA costs, escalation to Level-1
status and its ROC requirements, penalties, etc.

So, if you could pull off deploying all the infrastructure and operational upgrades to get to a SAQ-D for $100k, then
add in incremental operating costs, you'd need to expect a breach every 6 years or so for it to be clearly
cost-effective to comply at a SAQ-D level.  For our level-4 merchants, that's simply not in anyone's margins.

You could possibly do it with heroes and open source tools for somewhat less up-front cost, which would push out the
breach frequency required for payback.

Oh - before anyone asks, the beer mat those calculations were done on became sodden and is lost to time.  I'd also be
really interested if someone has a non-beer-mat budget sketched out, and is willing to share.

I remain convinced that the Council is going to have to bifurcate the DSS if they're going to achieve anything like
compliance across that vast pool of small shops that are the level-4s.  Heck, level-3s are only being reported as
having a 60% compliance rate at first examination:

http://storefrontbacktalk.com/securityfraud/level-3-merchants-hit-pci-compliance-at-60-percent-visa-confirms-numbers-for-the-first-time/

   -jml

Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU> 2011-08-03 10:45 >>>
How much do you have :-)

This was one of those projects that just kept on growing .. you should consider hiring a full time PCI Compliance
person, you will also need to allocate
(depending on the size of your operation) a security person to deal with the local scans.

We are working with Trustwave to provide an online portal to track all information, scans, provide and track training,
do external scans, fill out SAQs, etc.

With all that was involved, it took us about a year just to get things under control (we have hundreds of MIDs and
almost 1000 people to train)

So, with that said, a budget of a few 100K should do the trick :-)

Your mileage may (and I hope it does) vary .. we are driving a Hummer :-)

Joel