Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Budget for PCI DSS SAQ D for Bookstore Operations

From: "Carson, Larry" <larry.carson () UBC CA>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 13:03:07 -0700

The de-scoping exercise starts with a review of your business processes to
determine if you truly need to store PAN data. Should you determine that
it's not necessary, then you need to redesign your business processes and
then sanitize your DBs, systems and backups of all stored PAN data.

We started with 15 merchants all certain that they needed to store PAN data
and all categorised as SAQ-D; when we discussed costs of compliance as a
SAQ-D merchant, and what each would be responsible for, 13 of the merchants
found ways to de-scope (with assistance from our QSA) to SAQ-C or lower. In
the end we had only two merchants that had a strong business case to be
SAQ-D and those 2 went through major architectural redesigns of their
business processes and technological solutions, in order to further limit
which components would be in-scope for their SAQ-D process. By doing that
they were able to segment sections of their processes to SAQ-C, with the
approval of the QSA and the acquirer. At the end of the day you will always
need sign-off from your acquirer on these scope-reduction and/or limitation
exercises and it is in this capacity that your QSA should help you craft the
email request to the acquirer (as well as the underlying process) in order
to give you the highest chance of obtaining their approval in writing.

Regards,
Larry Carson
Associate Director, Information Security Management, UBC