Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSL scaling

From: "Flynn, Gary - flynngn" <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:59:02 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:33:28 -0500
To: <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] SSL scaling

InCommon seems to be operating as a reseller of Comodo certs, which
implies that they may chain back to top-level CAs recognized by common
browsers and operating systems.

That is correct. And for one low price, you get unlimited server (simple,
SAN, and EV), user (S/MIME/Auth/Encryption), and code signing certs signed
by a CA included in most products. Top level cert is already included in
browsers. And I suspect having a common Incommon intermediate cert and
policies is going to have collaboration advantages at some point in the
future.

I disremember what Ipsca offers, in terms of broad recognition.

It'd be a kindness if someone could refresh us on the need or absence of
need to do local browser-cert installation to take advantage of these
lower-cost services.

Also, anyone who is interested in CAs and PKI in general should
familiarize themselves with the work published by Chris Palmer in
relation to the EFF's SSL Observatory project.  Some of their findings
are... dismaying.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/04/fully-qualified-nonsense-ssl-observa
tory
 https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/04/unqualified-names-ssl-observatory

 https://www.eff.org/observatory

  -jml

Dexter Caldwell <Dexter.Caldwell () FURMAN EDU> 2011-06-15 14:12 >>>

You could consider Ipsca's free for 2yr certs for education or some other
cheap vendor.   Or you can consider wildcards ir your own pki.   The
latter of course is a whole other issue to manage.
Dexter

The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> writes:
We currently use a vended managed PKI portal that allows us to issue SSL
certs to internal customers when they roll out a website, but its costs
increase almost linearly with the size of our web portfolio. With the way
the web is moving, I don't think this linear growth is sustainable. What
solutions are in place and recommended among small to medium institutions
for managing SSL certificates? Is a wild card cert the only way to manage
this growth?

I confess when I first moved to Higher Ed I was surprised to find that
Educause itself doesn't operate in the CA space. After it has vetted an
institution for a .edu domain, the process for validating that
institution's identity is already shortcut, is it not?

(I apologize if this is a FAQ. I've been unable to access the
listserve.educause.edu site to research the archives for some reason.)

Best wishes,
Michael A. Smith
Web & Digital / Academic Technologies Manager
Nazareth College

--
Gary Flynn

Security Engineer