Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSL scaling

From: Jack Suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:26:49 -0400

DigiCert has improved their offering considerably once the InCommon programs was released. That is great news, our goal
at InCommon was to change the marketplace. Choice is good, as you compare companies with incommon look at these points.

Two things to look at for any long term deal:

1) EV certs will increase in importance. You want your domain name highlighted on important sites that are potential
targets of phishing attacks. INcommon throws these in for free, some companies charge individually for these, in some
cases this is quite high in cost. At UMBC all my high visibility sites will be moving to EV, this is dozens of EV
certificates.

2) personal (client) certs will likely explode in usage. Mobile computing authentication, digital signatures, 802.1x,
and improving security beyond text based passwords will mean that over the next few years you will probably see each
person having multiple client certs. These are free with InCommon.  For client certs we include key escrow at no
additional cost.

Hgher Ed is the only group InCommon we offer the CERT service too.  InCommon's offering is driven by a PKI subcommittee
composed of security people and PKI experts from higher Ed institutions. We are making sure our offering meets higher
Ed needs because you are the only group we care about.

Please look at the InCommon offering, we are trying to meet higher ed's needs and find ways to  use certificates to
really enhance security practices in higher Ed. To do that we need people to look at the big picture of where we are
trying to take this service and help us mold the effort to meet your needs.

Jack Suess
UMBC Division of Information Technology (DoIT)