Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: A "physical security" question - "cameras" versus "boots on the ground" - best practices

From: "Arthur, Matt" <arthur () WUSTL EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:08:05 -0500

I really question when the assertion is made that cctv acts as a 'deterrent', 'prevents' crime or even 'moves' crime to
areas without cctv.  Report after report indicates that in cities that have spent tons of dough on cctv systems have
not shown any significant deterrence, prevention or movement of crime elsewhere.  [I did a quick google search and
dropped a couple of links below.]  Research has shown that cctv can be effective in certain environments (rooms like a
museum watching something non-mobile and in parking garages), but we keep seeing Public Safety saying things like cctv
and blue light phones make people feel safer as justification.  My point in this is that the money spent on these items
to make people 'feel' safer could/should be used on stuff that actually makes people safer.  I'll also include a blog
from Bruce Schneier who seems to me to be a real voice of common sense in these matters
(http://www.schneier.com/essay-225.html).

http://epic.org/privacy/surveillance/
http://www.aclu.org/images/asset_upload_file708_35775.pdf

Matt Arthur