Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: content filtering at home

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:17:25 -0400

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Eric C. Lukens <eric.lukens () uni edu> wrote:

A while back I built an ebox server that provided a transparent
filtering proxy in addition to loads of other services. It is now called
Zentyal, and can do a whole host of small business server-related tasks.
It is now based on Ubuntu. This may be far more than what you need, but
if you were planning on providing other services in your home, it may be
able to provide those services as well. It is modular enough that you
don't have to use services that you do not want to provide. They aren't
as clear as they used to be on what is free and what is commercial.

To which I'll supply another vote for pfSense.

BSD based (excellent license), uses pf (it doesn't get any better than
that for firewalls if you aren't doing L7), provides OpenVPN and
IPSec, provides squid (for caching *and* URL/location filtering), has
a great web GUI for configuration and is designed to front everything
from a home/SOHO network to several thousands of users.

And there is no ambiguity about use...

kmw

--
Kevin Wilcox GPEN, GCIH
Network Infrastructure and Control Systems