Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall replacement

From: Dexter Caldwell <Dexter.Caldwell () FURMAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 13:26:36 -0500

I've had experience with Juniper, Cisco (some Pix, ASA 5540s) and
Sonicwall.   My reaction:  The Sonicwall probably makes configuring vpns
easiest and an experienced admin will have virtually no learning curve.
Additionally it will probably do everything you want and somehow not
really seem like it can.  However, you may be occasionally frustrated by
the simplicity and lack of under-the-hoodness (to make up a word) if
you're coming from a Cisco enviroment.  The ASA's on the other hand are a
pretty good attempt, by Cisco standards, of making an appliance with a GUI
interface that is actually useful and capable of doing almost everything
you'd need to do and more- with a learning curve.  You can get under the
hood if you want to and get some good troubleshooting information too.
Things can seem scattered around the interface a bit and occasionally
unncessarily complicated (it's still a Cisco device), but there are a
wealth of features.  If you want to customize your pages, set group
policies, integrate posture checking later you can do that.  It can be as
complicated or as simple as you need, IMHO.  I'd say stability is good
enough on most of the major names.  For me it comes down to what I want to
accomplish.  If I need simple fast service because I'm dealing with many
other things and all I need is simple vpn services and management overhead
is my primary concern, then I might choose the Sonicwall.  If features are
the issue, I might choose the ASAs.  Also, one thing you may want to look
at is licensing options for the various platforms.

D/C
The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> writes:
We have been running a pair of ASA5520s in a failover cluster for
firewall, client VPN connections and webvpn connections and they have
worked well.

Bruce Entwistle

Network Manager

University of Redlands