Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SecureDoc Encryption for Macs

From: "Tonkin, Derek K." <Derek_Tonkin () BAYLOR EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:51:06 -0600

We have quite a few folks running PGP WDE on bootcamped Macs (bootcamped with Windows, not Linux although that might
work as well).  To say the process is complicated when you are talking about a machine that is already set up to
dual-boot is over the top in my opinion.  All you have to do is boot into Windows, install, restart into Mac, install,
restart into Mac again and enroll and encrypt.  I typically advise the users to allow the encrypt to complete before
going back to Windows but once the initial disk instrumentation is done it really shouldn't matter.  When you consider
that this is a user who is already accustomed to a dual-boot environment I don't think the PGP setup is that onerous.

-------------Baylor University-------------
Derek Tonkin
Information Security Analyst
Information Technology Services - Security
derek_tonkin () baylor edu        254-710-7061