Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Access and the Terminated Employee

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:37:51 -0500

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:31:07 EST, "Sarazen, Daniel" said:

Is there a benefit in allowing an employee whose on vacation, and won't be
coming back, to retain their system access?

True story (admittedly from 20 years ago, when things were much different). I
was already in friendly "one foot out the door" mode at a previous employer,
and I had promised the director that since he had given me my start in
computing, I wasn't going to leave them hanging in the breeze (as everybody
involved agreed my departure was going to be a major brain drain, as I was like
1/3 of the sysadmin staff at the time).

So an older NTP daemon running V2 on one of the boxes I used to admin went
bonkers when it saw NTP V3 packets, and started spewing 4 or 5 packets a second
instead of one a minute, which gave a much slower machine several states away
indigestion.  Fortunately, I still had email access so I saw the notice, and I
still had network and root access, so I was able to fix the problem.

http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/nanog/msg13253.html

Of course, the *real* problem was that it was a small (3-4 people) sysadmin
staff at the time, and insufficient cross-training so one person's departure
didn't cause a brain drain. Although I left docs on everything I could think
of, I was still getting the occasional "Hey, how come xyz was set up like
this?" questions via e-mail for several months.

So it ends up being a question of risk management - which are you more likely
to get bit by?  The employee who's on his way out on a (presumably) amicable
basis suddenly going rogue(*), or one of his systems blowing up and you need help
fixing it? (Probably totally different answers if your shop has 3 sysadmins
versus 30, as I mentioned above, and whether you have a paranoid person in
Legal and/or Risk Management :)

(*) An important issue there is the chances the employee left a back door that
they'd still have access even if you thought it was revoked.  Remember said backdoor
would be planted while they still have access...