Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

SecureDoc Encryption for Macs

From: "Pebby Garner (Information Security)" <pebby.garner () UTSA EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 13:37:54 -0600

Hello all,
I am hoping someone can help me.  I work at The University of Texas at
San Antonio.  We are in the midst of encrypting all university-owned
laptops under a mandate from our president.  We have bought SecureDoc to
encrypt the Mac laptops on campus but most (over 80%) of our laptops
have BootCamp installed on them.  According to WinMagic, Inc., they will
not support SecureDoc on a dual boot Mac laptop unless there is a
self-encrypting hard drive installed on the laptop.  My question is has
anyone successfully encrypted a Mac laptop with BootCamp that does not
have a self-encrypting hard drive with SecureDoc?  I have been able to
encrypt the Mac side but then I am not able to boot into Windows.  Is
there anyone who could point me in the right direction?

Thank you,
Pebby Garner
Office of Information Security
The University of Texas at San Antonio