Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Access and the Terminated Employee

From: Dave Kovarik <david-kovarik () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:24:11 -0600

Patrick - we're reviewing the results of a survey we distributed to the NU community so I don't have a consensus at the moment but access can continue beyond a "termination" date: * involuntary - all access is revoked, any info required beyond the date is provided through HR * voluntary - ID is disabled and all access is revoked on day of separation. For retirees, access is reduced/restored to only that which is appropriate then the ID is re-enabled. These actions are (of course) subject to our being notified of the separation. Further, individuals who are hold staff and student status obviously complicate matters - we might terminate employment
and disable the ID which could affect the ability to complete schoolwork.

The end game is to develop a university-wide policy to address terminations AND transfers so that
any of these events is handled uniformly and rapidly.
- Dave
Dave Kovarik
Northwestern University
847-467-5930