Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: vpn split tunnel or no split tunnel

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:56:39 -0500

We offer both split and non-split through different profiles, but I should first qualify
that we only have VPN for IT-related staff (no general purpose campus VPN at this time).

Split-tunnel is the default, allowing better performance for non-campus traffic.  This
was a no-brainer decision when we had very limited internet bandwidth on campus, and has
remained that way even though we can now breathe a little easier.

There is a full-tunnel profile for use when you are in an unencrypted WiFi/Hotspot
scenario.  All communications are tunneled and thus encrypted.

Jeff