Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: vpn split tunnel or no split tunnel

From: "Avdagic, Indir" <indir_avdagic () WSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:46:37 -0800

We have implemented split tunneling for our SSL VPN and IPSec Remote access VPNs to make sure that all our users'
connection (when they are outside of our campus) to the internal resources are encrypted.
During the VPN sessions all their other network traffic (like web browsing) goes through their the local ISP
connection.

By enabling our users to get access to our internal networks through the secure connection from any outside location we
have accomplishing the main purpose of the VPN services.

To solve access problems for off campus library resources through the VPN connection we added at the VPN gateway all
outside library resources'  IP addresses to the list of the destination internal IPs that can be accessed through the
split tunneled encrypted connection.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Indir