Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: vpn split tunnel or no split tunnel

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 09:48:54 -0600

On 02/07/11, Mark Monroe   wrote:
    We are architecting a new vpn service on campus and some people want

    split tunneling and some do not. I am not 100% sure either way.

    Anyone have any examples or data that might push me either way?

I didn't see anyone mention this.  Something to consider is that most blogs I have read say that a VPN is the best type
of protection from FireSheep.

Do you plan to encourage use of your VPN as a protection from threats like FireSheep?  If so, then split tunneling
would only offer a false sense of security.

Jesse